In this page, I will be listing all of the monsters present in Monster Hunter Z and the changes to the monsters that were present in the previous games.
(Sorted by Type)
Felyne, Melynx, Shakalaka, Gaboon
Vespoid, Hornetaur, Great Thunderbug, Altaroth, Bnahabra, Konchu
Conga, Blango, Bullfango, Bondoro, Giran
(Sorted by Type)
- Chaos Gore Magala > Halfmolt Gore Magala
- Ashen Lao - Shan Lung > Azure Lao - Shan Lung
- Green Nargacuga > Neon Nargacuga
Pelagus / Fanged Beasts:
Bulldrome, Congalala, Emerald Congalala, Blangonga, Copper Blangonga, Rajang, Kecha Wacha, Mega Giran, Arzuros, Lagombi, Volvidon
Queen Vespoid, Queen Hornetaur, Seltas, Seltas Queen
Velocidrome, Gendrome, Juradrome, Deinodrome, Rheodrome, Great Jaggi, Great Baggi, Great Wroggi, Great Zakusa, Yian Kut - Ku, Blue Yian Kut -Ku, Gypceros, Purple Gypceros, Hypnocatrice, Bright Hypnocatrice, Azure Hypnocatrice, Qurupeco, Crimson Qurupeco, Armanemoth, Dull Armanemoth, Dakura - Nokka, Dakura - Enma, Dakura - Kokuza
Rathalos, Azure Rathalos, Silver Rathalos, Rathian, Pink Rathian, Gold Rathian, Pseudorathian, Khezu, Red Khezu, Diablos, Black Diablos, Monoblos, White Monoblos, Basarios, Basarios Subspecies, Gravios, Black Gravios, Seregios, Serdorgon, Berdorgon, Mendori, Mendoridrome, Ennihirus, Vitreousol
Najarala, Girgacon, Wavemaw, Thotordin
Royal Ludroth, Purple Royal Ludroth, Gobul, Lagiacrus, Ivory Lagiacrus, Abyssal Lagiacrus, Agnaktor, Glacial Agnaktor, Nibelsnarf
Lao - Shan Lung, Azure Lao - Shan Lung, Kirin, Oroshi Kirin, Yama Tsukami, Akuma Tsukami, Fatalis, Crimson Fatalis, White Fatalis, Rose Fatalis, Teostra, Lunastra, Kushala Daora, Rusted Kushala Daora, Chameleos, Ceadeus, Goldbeard Ceadeus, Jhen Mohran, Hallowed Jhen Mohran, Alatreon, Soratreon, Amatsumagatsuchi, Zantomagatsuchi, Dire Miralis, Shagaru Magala, Dalamadur, Gogmazios, Giseishin, Aquaseishin, Kosmoseishin
Gore Magala, Halfmolt Gore - Magala
Changes to existing monsters
- Felynes will attack a large monster in the area regardless of being hit by a hunter or not.
- Melynx will panic and run around with their arms raised when a larger monster arrives in the area they are in.
- Melynx can attack hunters from afar using a slingshot.
- Shakalaka can disguise themselves as small herbivores.
- Aptonoth have more prominent scales, a darker shade of grey on their tails and longer horns.
- Apceros will now prioritize a large monster in the area instead of the hunters.
- Popo have a darker shade of brown to their fur and some are found with broken tusks.
- Female Anteka are now sexually dimorphic. They have smaller antlers and pure orange fur, whereas males have a white "mane".
- Kelbi are faster and more aware of hunters in the area.
- Mosswine can now be found in 3 different colours: Brown, Grey, and Light Pink.
- Rhenoplos charge faster.
- Epioth will try to fight back when attacked by a large monster.
- Cephalos have a new moveset. They are more aggressive and tend to attack hunters more physically, than just spitting sand at them.
- The dorsal fin of Delex is now deep green in colour.
- King Shakalaka possesses a new attack where it will sheathe its club, bring its hands together while gathering a ball of fire, then flinging it at hunters.
- Bulldrome has a new attack where it bashes its tusks on the ground repeatedly, causing the quake effect.
- Cephadrome has a different moveset.
- Congalala has a new attack where it expels its soiling gas vigorously below it, throwing itself into the air and landing with a belly flop.
- Congalala has a new pin attack where it sits on a hunter and slowly excretes on them.
- Congalala is unaffected by Dung Bombs. It CAN however, replenish its stamina by absorbing the Dung bomb into its skin.
- Instead of a soiling gas, Emerald Congalala now expels a green coloured substance from its posterior which can inflict slimeblight on hunters.
- Blangonga and Copper Blangonga have a new attack where they will unearth a huge boulder and slam it onto the ground. They may slam the boulder on the ground multiple times until it breaks.
- Copper Blangonga has a new attack in Z Rank (Higher than G Rank). It plants its right arm firmly on the ground while positioning itself sideways. It then swings its arm forward after a brief delay, flinging a massive sand cloud at hunters.
- Rajang can charge its fists up with thunder, similar to what it did in Monster Hunter 4. But while in this state, in can perform a new attack where it slams the ground with its fists, sending a wave of thunder forward.
- Rajang can pick up tree trunks or logs around the area and use them as weapons until they break, or until Rajang throws the object at a hunter. It can only do this in Z Rank.
- Kechawacha has a new attack where it jumps up, does a front flip, and lands on the ground on its back.
- Arzuros, Lagombi and Volvidon have new attacks where they will charge forwards, turn around, jump up and perform a belly flop. Arzuros seems to perform this attack the fastest and Lagombi the slowest.
- Seltas has a new attack in G Rank where he will fly up in the air, and perform vigorous slashes with his claws, sending shockwaves of air to the ground.
- Seltas Queen will kill Seltas when he is weak, holding him firmly with her tail claw for a few minutes. During this time, she gains a new attack - she slams Seltas's dead body on the ground multiple times. After the duration, Seltas Queen brutally throws his dead body at a hunter.
- Seltas Queen has a new attack where she will spin around 360 degrees with her tail stretched out.
- In G Rank and above, when Seltas Queen performs her rush attack, she will leap and expel soiling gas at the end of the charge.
- Shogun Ceanataur has a new attack where it spins around 720 degrees while slashing with its claws.
- Shen Gaoren now has a revamped and extremely aggressive (and less boring) moveset. Its new moves include rearing up on 3 legs then stomping down hard on hunters with the rest of its legs, vigorously firing acid balls onto the ground that cause massive explosions,
- Shen Gaoren can now possess the skull of a Jhen Mohran.
- Shen Gaoren can be fought at the Fortress, Forbidden Grounds, and even the Great Desert in certain quests.
- Shen Gaoren's Acid Balls can cause Slimeblight and Severe Slimeblight.
- Hypnocatrice has a new attack where it releases a sleep inducing gas out of its wings.
- Khezu has a new pin attack where it will jump on a hunter, and slowly devour them.
- Khezu has a new G Rank attack where it will fire Lightning Balls while dangling from the ceiling like Gigginox.
- Crimson Qurupeco has a new attack where it summons lightning bolts around itself while roaring loudly.
- Rathalos has a new attack in Z Rank where he fires a flamethrower from his mouth, sweeping it slowly from side to side.
- Raithian has a new attack in Z Rank where she charges forward while surrounding herself with flames.
- Azure Rathalos has a new attack where he fires a flamethrower from his mouth while hovering in the air, sweeping it around him 360 degrees.
- Pink Rathian has a new attack where she will do a backflip, followed by the spinning flip, followed by a fireball.
- Monoblos now has a new moveset.
- It does not share any of its attack animations with Diablos. It has several new moves, including flinging sand and rocks in the air using its horn, using its tail like a club to smash hunters, a body slam attack where it will fly up in the air and land on its belly, and a fast scraping attack with its horn.
- Diablos has a new attack where it will slam its tail on the ground like Duramboros.
- Diablos are now sexually dimorphic (Excluding Black Diablos, which is a female in heat). The males have wider frills and longer horns, while the females have longer fangs and are larger than the males.
- Basarios's back can be mined.
- Basarios has a new attack where it will jump up and land on its back, crushing hunters.
- Gravios can no longer fly.
- Gravios has a new G Rank attack where it will fire a Lava Beam straight towards the ground, causing huge pillars of Lava to burst up in a straight line.
- Tigrex now leaves areas by foot instead of flying.
- Brute Tigrex can now perform three super roar attacks in a row when enraged.
- Tigrex Rare Species' size is even greater, but it is slower and its roar is weaker than its other two relatives.
- Still, it can perform the super roar attack like Brute Tigrex.
- Nargacuga's tail slam attack is altered so that it will do a frontflip in the air, instead of just turning back 180 degrees.
- Green Nargacuga can now chain every attack with any of its other attacks.
- Barioth and Sand Barioth possess a different moveset.
- The new moves they have in common include a back leap while shooting an iceball / tornado, a lariat attack where they charge at a hunter and swipe at them with its wing, and a scraping attack, where they scrape the ground several times with their tusks.
- Z Rank Barioth can now produce a giant snow tornado with its Ice Ball attack.
- G Rank Sand Barioth will vigorously flap its wings at an area to create powerful winds. It then jumps back while shooting a sand ball, creating the mini dust devil that travels around the area for 1 minute. This will be the new animation for the Dust Devil attack.
- Gigginox can eat its own eggs to replenish stamina.
- Gigginox and Baleful Gigginox have new pin attacks where they will hold a hunter down on the ground with their wings, cover their face with their mouths, and slowly lay eggs on them. If this pin attack finishes, the hunter will have 2 Giggis (3 or more in G Rank) if pinned by Gigginox or Thunderblight if pinned by Baleful Gigginox.
- Baleful Gigginox can perform a thunder field whislt laying a thunder egg.
- Tetsucabra has a new attack where it flings multiple boulders into the air.
- Tetsucabra will fail to do its boulder crush attack when fatigued, and its tusks will be stuck underground instead, allowing time to attack.
- Zamtrios has a new, ice blast attack where it will spit up a huge ball of snow at a hunter.
- This attack can only be performed when it is bloated
- When Zamtrios enters the fatigued state while bloated, it will collapse to the ground and deflate.
- Najarala has a new attack where it will slam its tail into its head, producing a loud ringing noise that causes hunters to cover their ears.
- Najarala will be stunned for a very short time after this attack.
- Najarala now slithers to go to different areas rather than digging.
- Nerscylla has a new attack where it sprays Slimeblight inflicting acid on hunters using its abdomen.
- Nerscylla can perform a new spinning attack to get up from staggering.
- Agnaktor's lava covered body can burn hunters if they are too close.
- Agnaktor and Glacial Agnaktor have new attacks in G Rank where they will slam their beak at the ground to hold their body secure, and then spin around 360 degrees.
- Uragaan and Steel Uragaan have new G Rank moves where they will chain the super jaw slam into a sideward charge.
- Steel Uragaan can perform the tail swipe attack after the sideward charge.
- G Rank and above Deviljho can perform two Rock Throw attacks in succession.
- Savage Deviljho can now combo its Dragon Breath after any attack, including a previous Dragon Breath. It cannot follow up with another Dragon Breath after the second one, unless it is enraged, in which case it may perform 4 Dragon Breaths in a row.
- Savage Deviljho also has a new, very deadly attack where it will rampage around the whole area while firing its Dragon Breath from side to side.
- Savage Deviljho can destroy a Shock Trap while it is paralysed in one.
- Brachydios' punch attacks produce a splash of slime, instead of the slime just being left on the ground. The droplets of slime will fly towards random places and explode normally.
- Brachydios has a new attack where it performs multiple left and right hooks while homing in on a hunter.
- Zinogre can perform a quadruple claw slam attack in G Rank and above.
- While charging up, Zinogre may cancel the charge out with the flipping tail swipe.
- Stygian Zinogre can now perform two back slams and two flipping tail swipes in a row.
- Both Zinogre and Stygian Zinogre have two new G Rank Attacks. The first is where they will jump up, perform a frontflip, and shoot out a Thunder Ball. The second is where they will slide towards a hunter, jump up, then perform a horizontal corkscrew flip, slamming their tails to the ground when they land.
- Gore Magala has a new attack where it will jump up in the air, glide towards a hunter, stop in mid air then slam them with its upper claws. Shagaru Magara is also capable of this attack.
- Gore Magala has a new attack where it will fire a Virus Ball towards the ground that explodes into a massive Virus pillar after a few seconds.
- Shagaru Magara's wings constantly glow different shades of colours, until it dies.
- Shagaru Magara can now perform a new attack where it fires a Frenzy Virus beam that is swept from side to side.
- Shagaru Magara enters a new "Armour Mode" state when it is below 30% HP.
- In this state, Shagaru Magara will also be constantly hovering (unless it is KO-ed, Flash Bombed, Paralyzed, or put to sleep), gaining new attacks.
- Lao - Shan Lung is not passive at all, and will attack and target specific hunters ferociously.
- It has several new attacks, including the Leviathan - style 360 bite and tail swing, a powerful body slam, a head - on charge towards the Fort, multiple claw stomps, a tail slam and a backwards rush.
- Lao - Shan Lung's roar cannot be blocked by High Grade Earplugs.
- Azure Lao - Shan Lung now has a light bluish tint to various parts of its body. It also possesses thicker horns, more spikes on its limbs and thicker back spines. The tips of all its spikes have a dark bluish tint to them.
- Azure Lao - Shan Lung can now use a Haze Breath attack that inflicts Dragonblight, and Fireblight to hunters.
- Azure Lao Shan Lung is also capable of performing a Rushing Charge that is identical to that of Dire Miralis's.
- Apart from these, Azure Lao - Shan Lung can also perform different fireball attacks, and a devastating (but passive) Dragon Aura attack, where it surrounds itself with Dragon element sparks for a limited time.
- Yama Tsukami has a different moveset, which includes faster, more accurate attacks.
- Yama Tsukami travels around the whole map of the Tower.
- Yama Tsukami can now be hunted at the Tower Top and Forbidden Ground areas.
- Kirin and Kirin Subspecies now have a roar attack.
- The Fatalis brethren's tails can be cut, but only when they are below 40% HP.
- The White Fatalis can now use a Lightning Breath attack. The animation is exactly the same as Fatalis and Crimson Fatalis' Fire Breath attacks.
- The White Fatalis has a larger mane, longer horns, glowing red eyes, and a long goatee that stretches down to about half its upper body length.
- Chameleos' scales now pulse the colours of the rainbow when it is invisible. It also has a new moveset.
- Kushala Daora and its rusted variant possess a new pin attack where they will start crushing a hunter with their front legs.
- They also possess the new Wind element
- Teostra and Lunastra have two new attacks in G Rank and above - A huge fire tornado (its size is similar to that of Sand Barioth's giant dust devil) and three smaller fire tornadoes that travel outwards, fired from their mouths and their tails respectively.
- Ceadeus and Goldbeard Ceadeus have a new Dragon Aura charge attack in Z Rank.
- Jhen Mohran and Hallowed Jhen Mohran have new attacks where they will try to gore the ship with their tusks from below it. This attack is only performed in repelling quests.
- Alatreon can now use a new attack where it will fly up in the air and dive bomb a target while surrounding itself with the dragon element.
- Alatreon can now fire 4 different types of element beams - Ice (the usual), Dragon, Thunder and Fire.
- Alatreon can now use the water element.
- Dire Miralis now has two rage modes, similar to Amatsumagatsuchi, including the music theme change. In this second rage mode, it will be overflowed with gushing lava and magma in its body.
- Dalamadur can now be KO-ed and put to Sleep.
- Amatsumagatsuchi now possesses 3 different elements: Wind, Water, and Thunder.
- Amatsumagatsuchi has improved stats, whiter fins, a darker underside, brighter horns, glowing eyes (which turn red in its second rage mode) and the purple markings on its body in its second rage mode will be much more prominent.
- Amatsumagatsuchi has 3 new attacks. The first is where it will spin around, face its target, then fire a Lightning Beam that travels in a straight line. The second is where it will shoot a beam of water and thunger combined, electrocuting hunters it hits. The third is where it will produce a gigantic tornado of wind and lightning that travels around the area. These last two attacks can only be done in its second Rage mode.